Is The CANON SL2 (200D) Worth Owning In Mid 2020?!

 --CANON SL2 (200D)--



I've got a cannon so2 or 200 d and it's been out for a few years now now in this video I want to let you know whether or not this camera is worth buying in 2019 and if you've still got one or you've purchased one before whether or not it's worth upgrading we'll talk about a few of the pros and cons especially in this kind of 2019 climate I want to see exactly whether or not this is going to be the right camera for you or there might be other options available so let's jump into it now this quickly before we jump into talking about the canon so2 and I've got a lot of exciting things to say about that i do want to thank a Skillshare for sponsoring this video and supporting our channel now if you are a photographer or a cinematographer and there's a good chance you are they've got lots of great courses on there which will teach you in depth on how to take better photos and better videos the great thing is is that you can watch a lot of these videos when you're in the car on the train or even if you're just chilling out on the couch I often find myself fitting in a bit of learning when I have a little bit of free time and it's been a really nice way to kind of touch up on your skills and also learn some things you might not have learned before so Skillshare is also more affordable than most other learning platforms out there and on your subscription is less than 10 bucks a month and this is really cool they've also been awesome enough to give you guys two hundred
two month free trials to share so if you want to check it out I'll put a link in the description box below you can start from there and I'd love for you guys to go and check out Skillshare anyway because they've been a really good supporter of this channel I don't do many sponsorships and they've been a continued support us so I definitely go and check out the link and you I'm sure you'll get some good things out of it anyway let's not talk about the Canon so2 in 2019 so what got me thinking about making this video is that the other day I actually got an email from one of my followers and I get these emails all the time lots of people are always asking which camera should I buy should I still buy this camera is it too old or should I upgrade to this new one and it got me thinking well I should actually maybe make a video with where I talk about whether or not a camera is still worth buying in 2019 and one of the most popular cameras that I've ever talked about on this channel is YouTube and for good reason it's a fantastic little camera and it really did introduce some of the best features that were in a lot of the hiring cameras like the Canon a TD or even the 16 mark to into a really lower end kind of rebel series camera now I haven't made a few videos about it for a while because I pretty much only used this camera as a vlogging camera these days because I'm still using a slightly larger camera for my sit-down videos but it really was a very fantastic camera and a lot of people loved it I think I can look over at my amazon associates kind of affiliate thing you can see hundreds if not thousands of people have bought this camera and I from what I've heard people are really really happy with it but it is 2019 this camera was released a few years ago and there are definitely some kind of more requirements for different cameras these days so let's talk about a few I've got a few written down and I want to talk about some of the pros some of the cons and whether or not this is a good camera for now so let's get into it now what I first want to talk about are some of the positives that I still think that this camera has even for 2019 and the very first thing is actually its size and weight and this is really important for me and I think it's important for a lot more people than they actually think the Canon so2 once you take off this Manfrotto pixie mini tripod and this Road microphone is an absolutely tiny deer slaw one of the smallest ones that they've ever made now there are smaller ones and I own a few like the Canon t7 or the Canon 4000 D but this one here's got a lot packing in it in a very small body whereas those other really kind of budget cameras have a very small body they are missing quite a few different features and the big one for me is the flip out screen and I think that a lot of people these days really do require this as not even an option but more of a I want this in all of my cameras because it's really really useful for example even now I am using a flip-out screen to be a tour Accord myself and you know back in 2017 back in 2015 2014 when I first started making videos not a lot of people were actually recording themselves and that could be for the better or the good maybe it's a little bit weird that we will record our services these days but with YouTube being such a big part of life and then things like twitch and things like that were you're doing a lot of live-streaming having a screen where you can actually see yourself compose and then see if you're in focus really is a nice thing so the size and weight of this camera really is super nice it's actually a really light camera if you've never picked one up and if you pair it up with a really light kind of lens like this one here a 10 to 18 millimeter this is a super light kind of wide-angle lens it really is nice so there aren't many cameras these days that are coming out any smaller than this even mirror less cameras these days the way that they're kind of trending is they're getting bigger and bigger you look at something like a Panasonic gh4 it's a bigger camera than this and it's definitely a lot heavier so that's definitely one of the pros and it's it's really nice to be able to take this camera out and be able to have really nice video quality and image quality and still have that kind of largest sensor so size and weight of the Canon so2 is still good in 2019 so I did just touch on the flip screen but I do want to talk about it a little bit more because this was a interesting thing when this camera came out you know I would have expected a few years later that pretty much all cameras would have these articulating flip screens and it still isn't here which is really really disappointing there are a couple of camera brands who just seem to be holding off on it and they're kind of giving us like a half assed kind of model where it might be you might have a tilt screen
which will just tilt up and then that's about it and then you can kind of do a janky kind of move to the side or you might get one that flips completely up which are a little bit better but then if you've got a microphone on top completely defeats the purpose because you can't see anything anyway there still isn't anything better than having a fully articulating screen that flips out flips around and also flips in on itself so when you're traveling you know you're not going to have a massive scratch on your camera in the end that's a really nice thing the only people who I've seen do it really quite well Panasonic they have fantastic flip screens as well very similar to canons and they're really nice Nick on had have done it in the nikon d50 600 but that's kind of an old camera now I mean I was making reviews on that one back in 2016 and nichkhun don't seem to want to be putting it in there other cameras even nunik auntie 3500 doesn't even have it it's it's really bad so it is really nice to see on this camera and I really also like that we put a touch screen and again if you've never used one before and you're like I'd never use a touch screen I use it all the time I love it not for photography particularly if I'm going to have my camera down on a tripod and I you know I don't want to have to manual manually focus or I just want to be at a really pinpoint then I will do it if I've got my eye up to the viewfinder obviously I'm not gonna be using the touchscreen but the video work it is just fantastic it makes life a lot easier you can always just touch on the screen exactly what you want it to be in focus if you're not using something like face tracking mode and the menu system is just so much quicker using a touchscreen so it is really nice another pro in 2019 still can't be beat okay before I talk about too many pros I don't want to talk about a few cons because I know not everyone watches these videos all the way to the end if you I still here thank you very much and the biggest con I still think on the Canon so2 in 2019 is its lack of 4k and I think that there this is a really interesting one now if you've watched my videos before you probably know my stance on 4k and the fact that I don't think that everyone needs to be shooting in 4k especially these days and I think more and more we really are seeing a rise of people watching most their videos on your phone it'd be really interesting can you actually comment in the comments down below are you watching this video on a computer on your phone on a tablet or on a TV because what I'm gonna say is that you know a good 70% of you will be watching this on a mobile phone and then if you're going to be having 4k well most phones don't really display 4k very well and if they do again it's not really always that easy so I don't always think that it's super important to have 4k now there are obviously some reasons to have it if you're a tech channel and you love having great 4k looks it can really work out well for you if you're going to be you know delivering something to a client and they specifically say they want it in 4k that's great even television you know I own a 4k television but nothing is playing in 4k especially if you're not in America and you don't have great Internet for generally I'm in Sweden and we have excellent Internet but still no thing's really playing in 4k and you know we watched a movie yesterday it was the Shaw shank Redemption great movie by the way but that was from 1992 or something and it was in I think we watched it in 720p obviously it was filmed in film and it didn't really make a difference you know it was still a fantastic movie 4k wasn't an issue with me the reason why I don't use 4k is because I know that people will still be happy watching me in 1080p I'm getting older and get more wrinkles and things like that I don't really want to be in 4k all the time but the obviously the biggest thing for me is just the hassle I still edit on a Mac Book Air and I don't know if my editing programs would be able to handle 4k completely well so I don't want to say that it's not a big issue in 2019 I still think it is if the next one doesn't come out with 4k I think they're gonna be kind of alienating a lot of people because they're trying to move towards that way but for me I still think in 2019 if you're just gonna be making videos for YouTube and look at your stats see how many people are actually watching on a mobile phone if they're watching if you've got 80% of people watching on a mobile phone you probably don't need 4k if you really want it they're always going to be options you can use things like a GH five you can use Sony they're really hot on 4k but I still think that there's a lot of other benefits on the so2 rather than just 4k so the next thing that I want to talk about is autofocus and that's why I'm sitting so close to the camera right here because I want to just show just how well it works and now I'm actually shooting on a Canon 70d which I've geez I've had for so long five years now and it has dual pixel autofocus the same as in the Canon so2 or 200 D and it still works so well and I absolutely love this and I still think that this is probably one of the biggest reasons why the so2 is actually a viable camera for 2019 because it still has the best
autofocus in the whole system now some people might say that Sony have better autofocus some people might say Panasonic but that's probably no one but I do think that Sony's autofocus is a whole lot different to canons now it is fast granted it's incredibly fast and they have things like eye tracking but it's not as smooth and it's not as cinematic and for me it's not being as reliable as canons autofocus and it's a reason why I still shoot with Canon not because I want to be getting the best image I want to be getting something that's reliable and allows me to make videos by myself all the time and Canon introducing the dual pixel autofocus in the Canon so2 was a real winner and it's the reason why a lot of people would like to use this camera it really is fantastic it allows you to pretty much just point and shoot and a lot of people who are getting into this using this camera are new people you know they're newbies to photography they might not know how to do manual focus great they might be quite happy just having that nice autofocus the face tracking works incredibly well as well so if you are going to be making things like YouTube videos where you you know you can't be doing focus poise can't be having someone behind you face tracking is amazing and I am using it right now and hopefully it hasn't gone out of focus too much otherwise it would defeat the purpose but I've done that test enough times to be pretty confident in it so in 2019 autofocus on the Canon so2 is more than enough and it's probably still its best feature with the so2 a small feature that I would like to see on the Canon so2 and I do feel like it's kind of lacking is having a scroll wheel on the back it's a small little thing and it might not be possible with the size of this camera on now the more I think about it maybe it's not even possible but it's something that I do miss from the larger Canon cameras we do have obviously a wheel at the top here which you can use and then you can just hold down the AV or the you know the function button and you're going to be good but it does kind of slow you down a little bit is this something that 2019 will bring on most cameras well probably not as cameras get smaller and smaller the chances of having physical kind of dials and on the back going to be less and less and obviously the the touch screen is going to be getting better and better and more focus on to do that but it is something that I haven't really spoken about much about the Canon so2 and I would like to see that changed a little bit I always like to have another secondary dial on the back here it just makes things a little bit quicker but yeah that all the buttons are pretty good on him so I think the other big thing that we should talk about in 2019 is the competition which really has heated up over the last few years cameras like camera brands such as Panasonic and Sony have just been flying along with all of their innovation and constantly are releasing so many new cameras with all of these new features now I think it is really easy to kind of get taken away and taken aback by all of these features and you think oh I absolutely need this one you know I need you know ten bit 42 even though you're only going to be shooting a YouTube video which most people are watching in 360p shout out to all my Indian people over there let me know what your internet speeds are like but I think it might be a little bit difficult for you guys to be watching everything in 4k all the time so I think it's nice to kind of just think exactly what you need for a certain camera but I think that competition is a really good thing and Canon definitely do need to start to kind of maybe introduce a few new features into these lower end cameras rather than kind of just bringing up the same camera just with the new name badge I think they've done that a few too many times what I would like to see is you know in the SOT obviously it'd be really cool if it did have 4k
but Canon it kind of crippling themselves every time they try and do introduce 4k into different cameras with their massive crop that they introduced and it kind of doesn't make it any good so obviously I think if you really want a good video camera and you need to have 4k again it's up to you whether or not you actually do need it I think that Panasonic is probably going to be the way to go in my eyes because I think they have a better all-around camera they've got a really good kind of trustworthy camera which isn't going to overheat or turn off but if you want the absolute best image quality and especially especially on the video side I think that Sony are really doing some amazing things these days a lot of their newer cameras even they're kind of lower end cameras are producing great 4k and they do have more and more features as well now if you do have a a canon so2 am I going to say that you should upgrade probably not I think that it's a fantastic camera and until a new version comes out I don't think it's worth it if it's working for you and you're able to make consistent videos that kind of look good enough no one's commenting odd the video quality's terrible which I'm going to guess that they're not well then there's no real reason for you to upgrade and spend any more money it's very easy like I said before to get into that kind of cycle of always trying to upgrade always trying to get a better image quality when in actual fact it's not the image quality that's the major issue it's actually what's in front of the camera so that's why I still haven't upgraded my camera for such a long time even though I've got access to pretty much any camera in the world now if you're looking to buy a new camera should you get a canon SL - well I think it depends on what you want out of a camera if you just want to stills camera it will be a great camera for you especially if you are like kind of in that beginner to intermediate range you can take some great photos on this what's really going to come down to use the lens that you put on it if you want a great camera for something like vlogging or YouTube I think this is still a really nice camera it's fantastic for that it's got that great autofocus it's got the flip screen it's lightweight you've got access to hundreds of different lenses with Canon just making so many different lenses and I put it to test and it does work really well now if you want to be shooting absolutely amazing b-roll and you want to be doing things like Yann Olson or Peter McKinnon well obviously probably not going to be looking at a canon so2 because you will want to be getting that 4k so I'd probably be looking towards a GH five a Sony a7 and a 7s a7r and they're going to be probably better for you but it's important to know that you guys are going to be spending more money and you are going to be having more difficulties when you're going to be editing and storing your stuff it might be okay for you but sometimes I do find that it can distract you from what you actually need to be doing which is storytelling making a great video rather than it looking so good you know you've got to get over that every now and then we all fall into it but for most people I think I would say 90% of people this will be a great camera spec for the price so there you go as it looks a canon SL 2 or 200 d is still a great camera in 2019 and i think it will be for a few more years to go it's kind of like the canon 70d or a DD it's one of these cameras where you buy it and they were fantastic when they came out and they're still really good and as long as they keep on working you treat them pretty well and you can kind of live with their limitations or not lack of not limitations but more they don't have the absolutely standout features they do make really good videos I think you're absolutely going to love it now to be really interested to see how many of you actually got to this end of the text
this one here the Canon so2 or 200 D I probably made more videos about it than pretty much any channel here on

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-DSLR-Camera-18-55mm/dp/B071K62DPN/ref=as_li_ss_tl?crid=9MXUO7H57EK4&keywords=canon+sl2+camera&qid=1578132019&sprefix=CANON+SL2,aps,1248&sr=8-3&linkCode=ll1&tag=mirajstore-20&linkId=ac0718b042209cb97b34620929937f54&language=en_US

1 comment:

Theme images by lobaaaato. Powered by Blogger.